Telematics And Your Vehicle
Telematic systems within vehicles are commonplace. In fact, you may well be using telematics without even being aware of it. The name encompasses a wide range of features, the most common that people understand is a car’s GPS.
However, telematics encompasses a whole host more than simple navigation. Read on to discover what other advantages there are on offer…
Everything You Need to Know About Commonly Used Telematic Capability
- Telematics for navigation
- Telematics for safety
- Telematics for vehicle diagnostics
Telematics for navigation
Most of us are familiar with GPS navigation, but this is just a single feature of a wide range of features. The telematics system of a vehicle uses wireless communication to bring us instant, detailed navigation, traffic reports, and other information all housed in a single box within the dashboard.
Telematics for safety
Safety features are a big element of telematics. Advances are being added all the time, but some of the most common include:
- Roadside assistance: Broken down? Flat tire? Run out of fuel? The SOS button will provide your location (using GPS) to your roadside assistance service who can come and get you back up and running.
- Automatic collision location: If you’re unfortunate enough to be involved in a road traffic accident, the incident and location will be recognized and help summoned. This works even in the event of a serious collision, as telematics systems are designed to be crash-resistant.
- Good Samaritan and other emergency assistance: If you witness an event or are involved in another incident that isn’t collision-related, the SOS button can be used to get in contact with the emergency services.
Telematics for vehicle diagnostics
The vehicle diagnostic feature allows you to run a test at any time. The results can be seen on screen, downloaded, or even emailed to you if you like. There’s also the option to have these sent directly to your dealer if you require.
One oft-used element of vehicle diagnostics is the automatic tire pressure sensor (TPS). This is a great safety feature that can warn you if one or more of your tires is incorrectly inflated.
Additional Telematic Features
- From streaming to geofencing: telematics has got your back
From streaming to geofencing: telematics has got your back
Other features you might find include:
- Gas station and best price finder, plus directions via GPS to get there
- News alerts, much in the same way as you receive them to your cell phone
- Reading out your text and WhatsApp messages. Not only does this remove the temptation to read them on your cell, so taking your attention off the road, but you can also hit the microphone button and send a reply
- Stream media, such as music, directly through the telematics system
- Location search, such as restaurants, shops, grocery stores, etc.
- Geofencing. This is commonly used for fleet vehicles or by insurance companies (the latter is especially common in the case of new or young drivers). It can monitor your driving style and speeds, sending warnings if you go over a certain speed, follow too closely to another vehicle, or drive erratically
- Enhanced automatic crash notification that can analyze the extent of damage caused in a collision and assess potential injury to passengers. Medical help can be summoned to the scene, if necessary, and anyone involved in the crash can be informed of the need to look out for any potential injury symptoms.
AutoBahn of Boca Use Marque-Specific Technicians Who Understand Your Vehicles Telematics
As our vehicles become ever-more advanced, so too does the specialist knowledge needed to look after them. Luxury vehicles, such as Porsche, Audi, VW, Mercedes, & BMW are always the first to introduce new features to their telematics. That’s why, at Autobahn of Boca, we demand that our technicians are marque-trained to be able to work on your high-end vehicle.
Don’t entrust your finely tuned, state-of-the-art computer system to anyone other than an expert—and that includes the vehicle diagnostics and any necessary repairs or maintenance too.
Head to https://www.autobahnofboca.com to discover our specialties and get in contact today to chat with our friendly team.