Most of the time when your car is broken, you are tempted to take matters into your own hand to fix it. Maybe you’ve watched YouTube videos on how to fix your BMW, or you’ve read a blog on how to repair some parts, it is important to know that you can’t fix all BMW issues. While it makes sense to fix your car yourself in certain situations, it is not advisable to always try to repair your car yourself because you can cause another problem by doing so. Sure, most BMW owners can install their winter tires or replace the spark plug, but the truth is that you need a certified and licensed mechanic to carry out most repair for you. So, what are the BMW repairs you shouldn’t do yourself?
The top BMW repairs you should not do yourself:
- Suspension components replacement – You might think replacing your suspension components is not difficult. While you may be right to an extent, you don’t want to go beyond swapping your stock wheels and tires. That is because replacing BMW suspension is a complex process and you don’t want to wrench on its complicated setup unless you have experience and training to do so. If something goes wrong in the process of replacing the suspension component, the car could behave erratically when you are driving on the road or even worse. In addition, an alignment is required after nearly all suspension work. Without an alignment, your car’s handling will be impacted and tires will prematurely wear out. Fixing your suspension is not costly, so take your car to the pros instead.
- Windshield replacement – Replacing your windshield should be left to professionals because they know the right brand of glass to use and understand how to fit them properly. Imagine what might happen if you fit cut-price windshield yourself and it failed in rush hour.
- Bodywork – Even if you’re a great artist, it doesn’t mean you are a good metal worker. Have you seen the look of a bodywork shop after repairing a car? If you have seen it, you will understand why you shouldn’t repair your car yourself. If your car suffers any body damage, using a professional is the best because getting the color-matching right is not as simple as you think. You will be happier with a professional repair.
- Timing belts or chains – Replacing your timing belts or chains may seem like an easy process, but you need to dismantle part of your engine to make the repairs while keeping the engine in time and missing a step in this process could result in bigger problems. It’s best to have a qualified technician perform this repair to avoid possible damage to the valvetrain in the cylinderhead if a step was missed.
- Engine diagnostic – When your car check engine light is showing on the dashboard, you are sent into detective mode. Don’t be tempted to figure out why your engine light is on, just take it to see a professional instead for quick, accurate diagnosis.
If you are in the Boca Raton, Fl area and your BMW needs a repair, give Autobahn of Boca Raton a call right away. We’re you’re one-stop auto repair shop for all your BMW repair needs!